Monday, April 17, 2006
The world's most dangerous animal, the arctic monkey



Today's post will be the start of my weekly countdown to this year's Roskilde Festival. British media darlings The Arctic Monkeys are this and last years hype propelled band - With good tunes mind you! NME in their almost defiant lack of reality announced that Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not was the fifth best British album of all time...
They were announced for the festival quite early to sort of counter weigh the fact that there was a distinct lack of good rock bands until Guns N' Roses were announced a short month ago.
When the first mentions of the Arctic Monkeys started hitting various centres of hype around the internet I must admit I was more than sceptical - "Oh god no, yet another 'We really think The Libertines are cool'-band".
Luckily enough all my worst fears were more or less made to shame. Though it has taken me the better part of six months to warm up to them, (At some point in your life you always start asking yourself about how many more indierock bands you can handle before going berserk?) I have now become quite fond of them. These young desperados have this almost endearing indie rock and roll quality that you as band either have or not - No middle ground! Plus they have an aggressive sound for an English band, which is always a good quality.

So strike up the tunes! - The first song of the day was probably the main reason why I really did not understand Them Monkeys. I found the "rough" quality of the number annoying and I found the vocals annoying - Yep, this was initially NOT my cup of tea, but then I made these two lines out from the chorus, and after that resistance was useless:
"I bet that you look good on the dancefloor
Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984"

The Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor*
Buy it here

*For any one liking a bit of good pop - The Sugarbabes have done an excellent cover of this song!
On the note of cover songs we go directly to the second helping of the day which is a cover of a Girls Aloud song. Nothing much to say except that it actually sounds really good, and I might even say that this song works better as a rock song than as a pop song.

Arctic Monkeys - Love Machine (Girls Aloud Cover in the Live Lounge with Jo Whiley)
Buy the Girls Aloud album Chemistry Here
posted by Niall Quinn @ 11:32 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Cameron said…

    found you through Elbo.ws. Nice to see a new and nice looking site. Keep fighting the good fight.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 



About DD

About the music or anything else:

All MP3's are for sample purposes only, and will be taken down immediately upon request. They will remain up for approximately 1 week by default. Please buy records and support artists. We need music dammit! If you have any music that you feel would be in the taste of this blog send it to Distortion Disco

Name: Niall Quinn
Home: Dublin, Denmark
See my complete profile

Previous Distortion
Archives
Blog Hype Heaven
Pop Culture
Other music



Locations of visitors to this page



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?